Tuesday 17 February 2015

Whole Wheat Pancakes

A few weeks ago my husband and I were honored to attend a 10th anniversary party for my fellow Pinterester Tessa.  All of the guests received a little jug of maple syrup as a party favor, it also was their place card for the party.


Ever since the party I've been dying to try this syrup! Since I've just started a new diet and workout routine I knew I would feel guilty if I indulged in my usual fluffy white pancakes so this was my chance to do some pinning!  I searched "whole wheat pancakes" on Pinterest and the #1 pinned result took me to a recipe by Sallys Baking Addiction.
Here's how it went....
First I arranged my cast of characters


I had to make some adjustments to the recipe to use what I had on hand.  I used Silk Almond Milk, the original, not vanilla.  I also didn't have any Greek yogurt, but I had some regular yogurt cups which just so happens to measure just over a quarter cup.


In a large bowl mix together 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup oats, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tsp cinnamon.


In a small bowl mix together 1 egg and 1 cup milk, or in my case Almond milk.  Add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 cup yogurt and 1 teaspoon vanilla and give it a good mix.


Make a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and add the wet into the dry.  Mix slowly together until just combined.  Pancakes don't like to be over mixed, unless you like to eat pancake hockey pucks.  I'll leave that up to you.


Get your pan or griddle onto medium heat and get a little butter in there! The recipe says to spray your pan with cooking spray, but come on! Live a little!  The recipe also said it yielded 7-8 pancakes when she measured out 1/4 cups of batter.  I made 1/2 cup pancakes and got 4.  So, cook em for a minute or 2 on one side, until the sides start to firm up, give 'em a flip and cook for another couple of minutes. 


The kitchen is smelling real good right now!  Notice the fingers of my little helper?


Yum! These pancakes delivered on every promise.  Fluffy and moist, full of flavor!  But the true test...My almost-three year old, the pickiest of all picky eaters ate one.  I couldn't believe it!  This recipe is a keeper!
Click here for a printable recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Monique Debrofsky19 February 2015 at 18:36

    Lol definitely always go with butter!!! These look awesome, my usual Pinterest pancake recipe is delicious, but it leaves us all with stomach aches lol... this may be a better alternative

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super healthy Monique! No stomach aches here! They also freeze really well if you make a double batch. I had one this morning!

    ReplyDelete