Friday 20 February 2015

DIY Wall Art

This week I attempted to create some art for my home.  Here's what I was going for.


According to the tutorial the idea here is to pick up some thrift store art, a painting, canvas, whatever inspires.  I really love the red one in the middle that looks like it has sheet music in the background.  So I decided to play by my own rules. 


I found the 'keep calm and carry on' decal at the new Dollar Tree that opened up in my city.  My idea was to glue some pages from a Sherlock Holmes novel I had lying around to a canvas.  Very British! 


First I pulled out the pages I wanted to use, and placed them on the canvas.  Once I had them organized how I liked I started gluing them down.  Note that you really don't need too much glue.  If you use too much you could cause the pages to bubble.  You'll see in the picture of my finished product that this is what happened to me.  


Next place your letters on the canvas, making sure you have enough room.  Don't start sticking them on until you have it just right.  You don't want to run out of room.  These decals were very delicate and might break if you have to take them off and restick them. 


All that's left to do is paint the entire canvas in one solid color.  It's up to you whether you paint a thick layer so you can't see any of the background showing through or a thin layer.  I personally liked to see a little bit of the pages showing through.  


Here's my finished product.  Sorry it's not the greatest picture.  The flash added a bit too much shine.  Notice the ripples on the left side of the canvas.  If I do this project again I'll use less glue.  


I was very happy with the result when I pulled off the letters.  The paint didn't bleed at all.  Not to bad for a decal that cost me $1.25.  This pin isn't fool proof, and would definitely be easier using an art piece from the thrift store as in the tutorial.  But its fun, and I'm excited to hang it under my book shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment