Thursday 19 February 2015

Superbowl Wings

I'm not much of a football fan, mostly because I don't understand the game.  But most of my friends are and we usually end up hosting a Super Bowl party.  I don't mind since I love good food, wine and friendly company, this year was no different.  We all decided to do a few appetizer type foods since we usually end up with way too much food left over and we hate wasting (a lesson I'm trying to teach my little one.  No you cannot have one of each kind of granola bar but only eat half of each).  What was I to contribute?...Pinterest to the rescue.  I found two recipes that looked delicious and quick and since my almost 3 year old was being demanding the last few days I had to find something I could put together with minimal monitoring.  I found this recipe (fairly healthy I might add) and everyone including a 1 year old and my almost 3 year old gobbled them up.  A few days later my husband requested the baked wings again.  I guess he wasn't quick on the draw with the Super Bowl ones, they went quick. So I documented the cooking experience for you this time.

 Step #1 Add together 2 tablespoons of melted butter (I used salted butter and didn't add the extra salt) 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, pepper to taste and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, stir around.


Step #2 Place chicken wings on a wire rack on an aluminium foil lined baking sheet (original link doesn't mention this, but with added butter if you just place on a baking sheet the wings won't get as crispy since they will be sitting in the liquid butter) bake at 400°C.


Step #3 Make glaze, add 5 tablespoons of butter to saucepan, melt and then whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour.  Let cook for a minute or 2 to get slightly brown. 


Step #4 Add the rest of glaze ingredients, 1/4 cup of honey, 1/4 cup (or less if you don't like it that spicy, although I think this is the perfect amount) Sriracha sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and the juice of 1 lime.  Stir and bring to a boil for 1 min until thickened slightly. 

Note: I would recommend starting to cook your wings first then make your glaze during the last 10 mins of cooking time (I made mine first and then baked the wings, the longer my glaze sat the thicker it got which made it difficult to brush on the wings after).

Feel free to substitute store bought or your own homemade BBQ sauce here.  We've tried this recipe with both and they always turn out amazing! 


Mid-cooking my husband came upstairs and said "your missing the most important ingredient, always cook with a glass of wine." Why thank you kind sir, I don't mind if I do...


Back to the wings. When chicken wings are cooked, brush them with your glaze and broil for 3 minutes then flip, glaze other side and broil for another 3 minutes.

Finally step #5 You could totally omit this step but I think it made all the difference. Sprinkle cooked and glazed wings with finely chopped cilantro (if your not a cilantro fan try very finely chopped green onion) and sesame seeds.

The result was a crispy, sweet, with the right amount of heat delicious game day or any day chicken wing (the same satisfaction with a 1/2 of the mess of a fried wing = win win).


Here's the original recipe. Give it a try on your next game night!


1 comment:

  1. Monique Debrofsky19 February 2015 at 18:33

    Ohh these look SO good! I'm totally grabbing the ingredients tomorrow to try this... possibly including the wine... haha ;)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete