Friday 27 February 2015

Good For The Soul Chicken Soup


 I pinned this soup a while ago and thought it was a great idea. So when the whole family was fighting a cold this week I thought I'd break out the slow cooker for this yummy looking soup to help give this cold a final farewell. I didn't have all the same ingredients this recipe called for but I knew I could make a great tasting soup with what I had on hand. Here's the original pin,  but this is what I did for my recipe:
I got out all my ingredients. I had a frozen chicken but I figured it would cook just fine if I turned my cooker on high, plus I love the flavor (not to mention nutrients) from using bones.


I put my chicken in the slow cooker and chopped my celery, carrots and red onion into small pieces.
I had some lemongrass left over from another recipe and wanted to use it up and thought it would add some great flavor. (To use lemon grass you just sort of bash it with the back of your knife, I also added a few slits in it and threw it in the pot).


I tossed all my nicely chopped veggies on top of my chicken in the slow cooker and poured an entire container of chicken broth on top. I then added about 2 cloves of garlic and some spices, the recipe called to add Rosemary by I'm not a huge fan so I added about 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning , 1 teaspoon thyme and some salt and pepper. 


Cover and cook on high (if you have a fresh chicken you can put it on low) 6-7 hrs. After the 7 hours I pulled my chicken out and the meat just fell of the bones, I gave it a rough chop and tossed it back in. About 30 mins before we wanted to eat I added a little bit of macaroni pasta. After I spooned it into my bowls I topped it with a little freshly chopped parsley.


Doesn't it look delicious! My secret ingredient is to add a few (about 3-4) drops of hot sauce per bowl, this doesn't make the soup super spicy just gives it a pleasant heat. My husband and I had two bowls each and he said that it was the best soup he ever had.
Here is a printable recipe for my version here.



No comments:

Post a Comment